To request natural gas service for your home or business, your property must be served by a natural gas distribution main. If your location is not served by a natural gas main, a new main extension is required prior to connecting your property to the natural gas system.
To initiate a main extension project, contact the Marketing Department.
Types of Main Extensions
Private Main Extension
- Applied for by individual property owners who wish to connect to natural gas
- Property owners must propose a main extension and pay the main installation cost
Developer/Builders Main Extension
- Developer or Builder who wishes to have gas service available for lots in a new or existing subdivision
Special Assessment or Local Improvement District Main Extension
- A method of financing public utility main line extensions in rural areas
- Proposal initiated through the governing agency (usually the Borough), which pays for the main extension
- Costs recovered through property tax assessment on all parcels served by the main extension project over a set number of years
- The Kenai Peninsula Borough offers Utility Special Assessment Districts (USAD)
- The Matanuska-Susitna Borough offers Local Improvement Districts (LID)