The criteria for the meter location is based on a number of factors, including building code, pipeline regulation, industry standards and building design. ENSTAR will make the final determination of the meter location. Each structure on the property being served must have an identifying service address and the meter location must be clearly marked.
ENSTAR service installations to new structures meet all codes, regulations, and standards current at the time of installation. As codes and regulations change, ENSTAR modifies its practices to meet the new requirements. ENSTAR generally does not retrofit older installations to meet new requirements. When renewing, replacing, or repairing existing facilities, ENSTAR may opt to modify facilities to meet current codes, regulations, or standards.
Gas Meters Must Be Located:
- In ventilated spaces readily visible and accessible for examination, reading, replacement, and maintenance.
- On an exterior wall of the building. For approved remote meter locations, contact the Marketing Department.
Gas Meters Cannot Be Located:
- Inside enclosed structures, living quarters, garages, carports, mechanical rooms, under or on decks, on fences, or in unventilated or inaccessible locations.
- In or near a traffic area unless adequately protected from passing vehicles by bollards, a concrete barrier, or equivalent.
- Closer than 36″ to any ignition source, including an electric meter assembly, electric receptacle, telephone, cable TV or security system junction boxes.
- Closer than 36″ horizontal to, or less than 6 feet vertical underneath an operable window or wall opening, such as a vent termination.
- In any Residential application within the Municipality of Anchorage, closer than 6 feet to any gravity or mechanically-driven air intake.
- In any Residential application outside the Municipality of Anchorage, closer than 10 feet to any gravity or mechanically-driven air intake.
- In any Commercial application, closer than 10 feet to any gravity or mechanically-driven air intake.
- In areas subject to damage from falling ice or snow, dripping water, or snow plowing. All structures with metal roofing shall have the meter(s) installed on the gabled end of the structure.
- Located in contact with the ground or in a depression below the general ground level.
- The meter may not be closer than 12″ to any electrical ground rod, non-insulated ground wire, or underground wiring.